I ask you to please send this information to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas.
If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time.
7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was reentered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models.
Some resulting in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
As the PEI notes, “the dispensing of gasoline into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle is a safe operation,” and “Americans pump gasoline into their cars between 16 and times a year generally without incident,” but fires related to refueling at gas stations seem to be on the rise, and many of these fires are apparently not the result of the usual causes: open flames (mostly from cigarette smokers), sparks from the engine compartments of automobiles (primarily from drivers refueling cars with their motors running), or a lack of electrical continuity between nozzles and grounded dispensers.
However, there’s a great deal wrong with the summary quoted as the example above, a situation which illustrates the danger of accepting as gospel whatever turns up in the inbox.
“Even many safety conscious people may not be aware of the proper way to fill a portable fuel container,” Hairston said.
“Grounding is essential to avoid any build-up of static electricity that could pose a risk,” Hairston said.
This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
5) Don’t ever use cell phones when pumping gas 6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
Grounding, simply put, provides a path for an electric current to discharge safely — the electricity is dissipated in the ground, when a portable fuel container is grounded.